[rescue] VGA Scan Conversion

Nate Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:11:21 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:04 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks <jjacocks at mac.com>wrote:

> I have a Dell 2001fp, which, though an otherwise excellent LCD (IPS
> panel, lots of inputs, etc.), claims to be multisync, but is not.  The
> specs are:
> Horizontal scan range   31 kHz to 80 kHz (automatic)
> Vertical scan range     56 Hz to 76 Hz, exception 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz only
> (from http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2001fp/EN/specs.htm)
>
> But, I have found that it will not do 640x480 at 66 or 640x480 at 75, which
> are within it's supposed range.  I've found the same on several other
> LCDs that I own.

Are you sure it's not because the Dell 2001fp lacks sync on green?  Early
macs didn't have composite sync, they did sync on green, and some monitors
(like that NEC mentioned and quite often ViewSonic) support both composite
sync and sync on green, while Dell monitors don't support sync on green
(that I know of).

- Nate