[rescue] VGA Scan Conversion

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Thu Aug 18 15:04:55 CDT 2011

<http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/NEC-MultiSync-LCD175M-BK-17in-LCD/1920347.a
>> spx>
>>
>> I was indeed aware of NEC's older line of LCDs, but I was under the
>> impression that the "MultiSync" name was just marketing, and that they
>> were only capable of specific scan frequencies, rather than the range
>> that MultiSync CRTs (and compatible) were capable of.
>>
>> Do you actually have such an LCD?  If so, I'd love to be proved wrong,
>> as acquiring an older LCD is much cheaper than a VGA scan converter.
>>

> The CDW page linked abovelists the *MAX* vertical refresh rate at 76.
>
> Also, NEC's product page for it ( http://www.necdisplay.com/p/lcd175m-bk
> ) says:
>
> Synchronization Range
> Horizontal (Analog/Digital)     31.5-81.1 kHz
> Vertical        56-76 Hz
>

> Is that enough verification for you?

Well...not to be a pain, but no.

I have a Dell 2001fp, which, though an otherwise excellent LCD (IPS
panel, lots of inputs, etc.), claims to be multisync, but is not.  The
specs are:
Horizontal scan range	31 kHz to 80 kHz (automatic)
Vertical scan range	56 Hz to 76 Hz, exception 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz only
(from http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2001fp/EN/specs.htm)

But, I have found that it will not do 640x480 at 66 or 640x480 at 75, which
are within it's supposed range.  I've found the same on several other
LCDs that I own.

Thanks!
- Alex