[rescue] A bit of a sad day...

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Sep 21 16:45:54 CDT 2010

I don't have much nostalgia for the Sun of the past, I gotta admit.
When I worked at a partner that was making a peripheral for Suns the
Sun software team was insisting that our stuff was buggy and just
crashed and that they couldn't figure it out and insisted my company
fly me out to CA to help them debug the issue.  My employer paid the
expense of flying me out and freight shipping some equipment to be
on site while I was there.  They didn't seem to be in a hurry to get
to work when I arrived.  There was fiddling around like they expected
me to be there for days working on this thing.  When I finally got
into it with their engineer it was all of like 30 seconds to say
"dude, you're passing me a NULL pointer".  "Oh."  Once they fixed
their code not to send me null pointers, everything worked as
expected.  All that expense because their engineer couldn't figure out
that output buffers shouldn't be passed in as NULL pointers.  This was
early 90s.

My overall impression of the work ethic was: "eh, I can get a job
across the street if this doesn't work out; who cares if I do even the
basic debugging on stuff before I pass the blame around".