[rescue] Solaris 9/10 is out

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 10 17:23:54 CDT 2010

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Andrew Jones wrote:

> 'smc' itself could be the real memory hog here.  We may want to narrow
> our focus.  On S10 U8, I have Java 1.5.0_20. What version comes with the
> new update?

Okay, since there's some interest here.  I've created two fresh virtual
machines with 32GB disks and 1.5GB memory allocations and installed u8 to
one of the and u9 to the other as follows:

         * Standard text-mode install
           - DHCP, IPv6, no Kerberos, no name service
           - ZFS root filesystem
           - Accepted defaults for everything else.
         * Rebooted to the installed OS image, and waited until the login
         screen was present and disk I/O had subsided.
         * Logged in as root with JDS3.
         * Killed the "About the GNOME Desktop" application.
         * Killed the registration application.
         * Opened a terminal using the root-window menu.
         * Took measurements with vmstat and zpool.
         * Shut the system down.
         * "Powered" the VM back up.
         * Waited until the login screen was present and disk I/O had
         subsided.
         * Logged in as root.
         * Logged in as root with JDS3.
         * Killed the annoyingly-persistent registration application.
         * Opened a terminal using the root-window menu.
         * Took measurements with vmstat and zpool.

The results are:

Solaris 10 u8 First Boot
         1138960KB physmem used.
         4.64G disk space used.

Solaris 10 u9 First Boot
         1115260KB physmem used.
         4.69G disk space used.

Solaris 10 u8 Second Boot
         952588KB physmem used.
         4.64G disk space used.

Solaris 10 u9 Second Boot
         955352KB physmem used.
         4.71G disk space used.

So Solaris 10 U9 may be slightly worse than U8, but both systems are
monuments to bloat.  The U8 system shows 98 smf services online; the U9
system shows 101.  I'm sure that, with tuning, these systems can be pared
down to something reasonable, but I believe the term for that is "broken
out of the box".

I cannot account for the differences with checking the values through smc
other than asserting smc is full of prunes, which we already knew.

With regards to the installed versions of software, U8 ships with Java
1.5.0_20, and U9 ships with Java 1.6.0_21.  Both ship with GCC 3.4.3, bash
3.00, and Xorg 6.8.0.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi