[rescue] Solaris 10 x86 repair

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Sep 5 14:09:38 CDT 2010

Something Bad happened on my main server at about 0500 last night, and
it went down hard.  After temporarily swapping in a DVD drive from my
workstation so that I can boot from a Solaris 10 DVD (babylon4 has only
a CD drive), it appears all the hardware is intact, and all the disks
are good (though the boot archive on the boot pool was corrupt, though
the install CD repaired that); but the system won't boot, and appears to
be failing to start grub.  It looks as though whatever happened blew
away the grub stage1 bootloader, which is easy enough to repair with
installgrub, IF I knew what device to tell it to reinstall the
bootloader *on*.  Normally, this would be /dev/rdsk/[boot disk]s3; but
I'm using a mirrored ZFS boot, and I don't know what's the correct
device to use in this case.

Does anyone else know?  STFW has been ... unhelpful so far.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.