[rescue] Wanted: Rackmount kit for a SGI Origin 200

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Tue Mar 30 16:06:54 CDT 2010

Quoth Jonathan Patschke ...
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>
> > Yes, take the side panels off, and the feet come off, and it turns
> > sideways and sits in a rack.
>
> Or toss a cotton ball at it and all the fragile SGI plastic
> will crumble right off.

Let me phrase it like Kinky Friedman ... the [non-]quality of SGI's plastic
parts has always failed to amaze me.  Most of my SGIs (I still have a
couple) have avoided major breakage, but, even given the great care with
which I've treated them, the cases all have various minor bits broken off.

Since I got all the stuff cheap-or-free, it's hard for me to complain.  If
I'd laid out $35k (or whatever) for a loaded Octane, however, only to have
the front door break off, I wouldn't be so sanguine.

Y'gotta wonder why they didn't do better.

-Shel