[rescue] Wanted: 486 desktop

Derrik Walker v2.0 lorddoomicus at mac.com
Wed Mar 24 08:30:58 CDT 2010

On Wednesday, March 24, 2010, at 01:33AM, "r.stricklin" <bear at typewritten.org> wrote:
>On Mar 23, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
>
>> Yea, when the Mac II came out, you could get a Sun 3/60 for less
>> that was faster, and Sun OS 4 was a nice OS.
>
>I don't buy for a moment that the Mac II was more expensive than a Sun
>3/60 in 1987, considering both machines were brand new in the market
>and base list on the 3/60 four years later in 1991 was still over
>$9.5k. This would have been a minimum configuration with a tiny amount
>of RAM, monochrome graphics, and no hard disk. The first Quadras were
>released later that year - the Q900 at $8500 with 4MB RAM and a 160 MB
>hard drive.

A well configured Mac II with AU/X, and a usable amount of RAM and Disk and decent graphics and networking cards would easily cost upwards of $10K.  And a IIx would have been even more.

Lower end Suns were typically cheaper than higher end macs.  I remember pricing a Sparc 5 against a Q800, nicely loaded loaded, the Sparc was about 5K less than the Quadra.  I decided to wait and get a 6100 when they came out, which was way cheaper than both of them, even with 40Meg of ram.

- Derrik