[rescue] Old school usenet

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Mar 23 12:54:51 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 01:42:19PM -0400, Tom Manos wrote:
>What I am interested in is a system that sort of enforces the old USENET
>Etiquette principles, aiming for near 100% information content and near 0%
>spam and other crap.
>
>Although I originally thought of the thing as mostly for technical groups, I'm
>not sure I still think that.

In my case, no interest at all. IMHO what made this list (and geeks) interesting
back when they were 150-200 messages a day each, was the diversions.

What I would like to see is the old geeks community up and running again,
and not replaced with things like facebook. I really don't want to know what
you had for dinner, when you got home last night, and if you post your
phone number while you are on vacation in some far off land expect me
to call it for the heck of it*. :-)

Geoff.

* To me, most of you are already in some far off land anyway.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.