[rescue] reset firmware password on sun blade 150

Nicolai nicolai-rescue at chocolatine.org
Thu Mar 18 15:34:10 CDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 05:47:04PM -0500, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> If you can't boot the system and get root, boot the system without the
> NVRAM chip, install it (correctly!) while at the OpenBoot prompt, and then
> run the mkp commands.

To clarify: when you say boot the system, do you mean turn on the
computer, or boot the OS at the OpenBoot prompt?  Sorry but I have to
ask.  I'm guessing you mean the OS.

In any case, indeed, I can't boot the system and get root because
I bought the Sun Blade 150 at a university sale, with no hard drive.
(It currently has a 40gb drive that's been wiped.)

However, when I turn the machine on without the NVRAM as you suggest,
there is no POST beep and the monitor shows only the "self test /
monitor is working" message.  So I'm not sure how to proceed.

> For more information, see the FAQ:
>
>      http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

According to the following post, FAQ applies only to OpenBoot 3.x,
whereas this Sun Blade 150 has OpenBoot 4.6:

 "Pleaese note that the advice given in the Unofficial
  SunBlade 100 FAQ and the squirrel.com Sun NVRAM FAQ
  doesn't seem to work on the 150 with OpenBoot 4.x. From
  what I can tell, all of that advice applies only to
  OpenBoot 3.x!"

  http://blog.jasonantman.com/2007/12/sun-blade-150-working

Thanks for all your help.  I'd love to get this little box up and
running!

Nicolai