[rescue] Wanted: nVidia AGP video card

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Mar 5 17:14:54 CST 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 04:46:29PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Looking for a cheap-as-possible GeForce FX5200 (or better) AGP video card.
>
> Can offer a Quadro 4 980 XGL as trade / partial trade / etc.  I just don't
> need a workstation-class card in this machine, as I'm only going to use it
> for a desktop and VMWare.

Unless you are looking for more gaming performance or something else
that requires better shader support, that Quadro 4 is likely to serve
you well for desktop performance while being reasonable in power usage.

On newegg you can get a 5200 card for $27.

If you really want a new card, I'd recommend shooting for a 6200 or
better rather than a 5200.  The price difference should be fairly
minimal, while the performance is much better.

If I was going to put the card in the machine I suspect you would put it
in, I'd be very tempted to try this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139053

JATON 3DForce3450-DVI Radeon HD 3450 512MB 64-bit DDR2 AGP 4X/8X, $59

The open source drivers for Linux should be fairly good, and I really
like having dual DVI ports in this day and age.