[rescue] RS/6000 & AIX

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Mon Jul 26 10:55:02 CDT 2010

I recently rescued an IBM 44P Model 170. I'm totally new to this platform, so
I have a few initial questions for the collective.

- Is eBay pretty much the best/only way to get media for AIX? I see 5.1 is
available from several sellers, but ideally I'd like to run the latest version
possible, which seems to be AIX 5.3. Anyone on the list happen to have media
for 5.2 or 5.3?

- The machine still has an installation of AIX, but it's looking for an NIS
server and never gets any further, at least after several hours and thousands
of messages on the console log. So, do I have any options here that wouldn't
require media and a fresh install of AIX?

- I don't have a key for this machine, is that going to cause me problems?

- Prior to getting AIX up and running, is there any way to list the hardware
specs of the machine?

- Mike