[rescue] Sun stuff - free?

Charles Monett camonett at woh.rr.com
Mon Jul 12 17:19:13 CDT 2010

der Mouse wrote:
>> Given the age - those could be BigMAC (BE) cards.  The driver was
>> dropped in Solaris 7 and newer.
>>

> Doesn't matter to me; I'm running NetBSD, not Solaris.
>

>> I had an old SS1000 with one of those little devils.
>>

>> ...or they could be early Happy Meals.
>>

> I've got an hme or two, but I also have enough machines that could
> benefit from >10Mbit that it'd be worth covering shipping to me to get
> these, even if they're be rather than hme.  (I have few-to-no Sbus
> machines capable of filling a 100Mbit pipe, but a nontrivial number
> that find 10Mbit limiting.)
>
> /~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Agreed on the "filling the 100Mbit pipe" comment.  Even a well-stocked
SS5/170 or a middle-of-the-road Ultra 2/300 will have issues(used both
in high-traffic network filtering).  They're good as a workstation or a
lightly loaded server, but don't try to run a ton of traffic on them.

Replaced those with something more capable and noticed a good sized jump
in speed with the same underlying infrastructure.