[rescue] Indy NVRAM DS1386

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Jul 5 13:26:42 CDT 2010

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Horacio Gomez wrote:

> I have one Indy with the NVRAM bad. I bought 2 NVRAM DS1386-8k-120 and 1
> DS1386-8k-150 locally and I reprogrammed them with the data I took from
> other one in good condition. But If I install any of these 3 IC on the Indy
> the system didn't boot up.

    If you connect a serial console during the poweron sequence and
hit <ESC> to access the boot menu and give it a "5" to "Enter the
Command Monitor" you should be able to do a "printenv".  If you
do that, do you see any variables labelled "SystemPartition" or
"OSLoadPartition"?

    Here's a "printenv" dump of mine (a "stereo component" that,
although it's technically an Indy, is headless):

>> printenv
AutoLoad=Yes
TimeZone=EST5EDT
console=d
diskless=0
nogfxkbd=1
scsiretries=8
dbaud=9600
volume=80
sgilogo=n
autopower=y
monitor=n
netaddr=192.168.1.240
eaddr=08:00:69:07:cd:8f
ConsoleOut=serial(0)
ConsoleIn=serial(0)
cpufreq=200
SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
OSLoadPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
OSLoader=sash
OSLoadFilename=/unix

> What I am doing wrong?. Is that possible I bought 3 IC bad?.
> Somebody could help me? Thanks in advance for any idea.

    It's probable that the boot bits are not programmed in
correctly -- especially as you went from a bare unprogrammed
chip.

    An incantion of, "hinv" to the ">>" (not quite a "dead sergeant")
will tell you what SCSI addresses your disks are at.  Again, from
mine:

>> hinv
                System: IP22
             Processor: 200 Mhz R4400, with FPU
  Primary I-cache size: 16 Kbytes
  Primary D-cache size: 16 Kbytes
  Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes
           Memory size: 256 Mbytes
             SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
             SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(2)
            SCSI CDROM: scsi(0)cdrom(4)
                 Audio: Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0

    Cheers!