[rescue] OS recommendations for Sun Fire V210

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 12:34:24 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
> On 06/29/10 10:49, John Floren wrote:
>> It looks like I'll be buying a Sun Fire V210 this afternoon; two
>> 1.34GHz processors, 4 GB of RAM for $50, plus a 300 GB hard drive I
>> picked up from a friend. At the price there's no way I can resist.
>>
>> I'm wondering about your opinions on running Solaris 9 vs Solaris 10
>> vs, say, FreeBSD. How would the Oracle takeover affect my use of
>> Solaris 10 for personal use, for example?
>
> Well, for starters, you'll no longer be able to get any patches or
> updates at all, period, without a paid support contract (which, I
> understand, is based off the *original* retail price of the hardware
> when new).

What's the story regarding OpenSolaris? I've installed FreeBSD, but
the platform is a rather recent addition. I decided to give out shell
accounts to my friends, but a lot of the software they and I are
interested in (java, LISP, seti at home) cannot compile on
FreeBSD/sparc64. If OpenSolaris actually has a future with Oracle, I
might give it a shot instead.

John
--
"With MPI, familiarity breeds contempt. Contempt and nausea. Contempt,
nausea, and fear. Contempt, nausea, fear, and .." -- Ron Minnich