[rescue] Space Shuttle Main Engine

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Jan 17 16:38:57 CST 2010

" From: "Carl R. Friend" <crfriend at rcn.com>
"
"     I'm half tempted to forward the NYT article link to my wife with a
" subject line of, "Can I have one. please?!"  The only problem is that
" I put a premium of actually running artifacts I collect.  SSMEs don't
" get the best fuel mileage, but the thrust-to-weight-ratio on my small
" Nissan.....!  :-)

you'd certainly top the urban folklore about the fellow who put a jato
on his car...

i've actually handled a bit of ssme.  in the early '80s i worked for
an ultrasonic instruments company; i was a peon in a group developing
a flowmeter.  it worked by sending clicks up- and downstream through
the liquid and measuring delta-t, and they sent us a bit of plumbing -
for the o2 iirc - to give it a try, but we couldn't help them.
massive cavitation in the flow totally destroyed our signal.

it was a twisted bit of about 4" pipe iirc, and i was told how
powerful the fuel pumps were, but it was a figure so high it's
difficult to credit without relevant experience, and i don't want to
trust my memory.  'astronomical' would be an appropriate label.