[rescue] Looking to rescue a PC

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 12:05:47 CST 2010

On Feb 20, 2010, at 10:49 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are looking at tower servers and Dell (probably applies
> across the
> board) then avoid the ones with P4era Xeons in the upper speed
> brackets. We
> have a single CPU HT 3.0 Poweredge 1800 at work, it's not loud by
> server
> standards but sure as hell I wouldn't want to work next to it. In
> comparison
> the new T610 I installed in December is as quite as a mouse, the
> sound of the
> disks and fans on that is drowned out by the fan on the LTO3 Tape
> drive sat on top of it ;)

I generally agree, but noise is hit-and-miss in Dell tower servers
(for those keeping track, I'm ammending my earlier post) - but, in my
exp. It isn't hard to google up a good idea of the relative noise of a
server...

My T610 is loud (by design I assume), but it wouldn't stand out in a
server room IMHO.

The cheap Dell servers (like the T100 (intel) and T105 (amd) Dell
sells for $299 pretty frequently) are quiet, but have designed-in
constraints to limit graphics options (like only PCI Express x1 or x4
expansion options, along with PCI).

Lionel