[rescue] Looking to rescue a PC

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Feb 15 22:54:41 CST 2010

Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> [0] There's some odd bit of noise in the blue channel that looks for all
>     the world like static, but can't really be.  My laptop drives the
>     display perfectly over the same cable, so it must be something in
>     either the video card or its drivers.

It could be that whatever RAM is on the card, is being run at near the
top of what it is spec'ed for.

Have seen this on older cards as well, ATI was always bad for this; they
have both loose manufacturing quality control and spin revs of their
silicon a lot (leading to weird driver bugs, etc.)

Saw this more than 10 years ago with ATI, nothing I have seen since
indicates they have changed their ways.

--Patrick