[rescue] Looking to rescue a PC

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 15 22:02:27 CST 2010

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> FWIW, at work we've had trouble upgrading our Optiplex 745s from the
> Dell supplied ATI cards to anything that can drive a 30" LCD panel, even
> with trying to stick to low power cards from premium brands that swear
> they use less than the 75w that Dell says their PCI-E x16 slot can
> support.

We have Sapphire-branded Radeon cards in our 745s, and they do 2560x1600
mostly[0] fine.

[0] There's some odd bit of noise in the blue channel that looks for all
     the world like static, but can't really be.  My laptop drives the
     display perfectly over the same cable, so it must be something in
     either the video card or its drivers.
--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Science is what we understand well enough to explain
Elgin, TX         (   to a computer.  Art is everything else we do."