[rescue] D-shell nomenclature (was Netra T1 AC200 Questions)

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Feb 15 07:30:16 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:57:43PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:

>There's also the 23 pin nearly-DB connector used on the Amiga for video and
>floppy. They were pretty hard to get hold of even in the Amiga's heyday and so
>not a few SCART cables were made by taking a DB25 and waving a hacksaw at it.

As far as I remember they were standard DB-23 connectors. Not as common as
the DB-25, but they were available. Maybe not in the UK, but in the US, you
could mail order them quickly and any Amiga specialty dealer had them.

I remember one in a small street behind Victoria Station, but I doubt that I
could find it on a map, even if I had one. I doubt it matters, they were
there in the late 1980's and gone by 1989.

>FWIW, I've got about twenty male 23 pin connectors (but no shells) if anybody
>has a use for them.

Putting in "db23 connector" into my favorite search engine gave me several
sites that still sell them and the first one, sells the hoods.

http://www.hello-cables.com/db23-connectors.html

I have not seen them since I owned an Amiga (1992?), and am very surprised
they still are around.

Geoff.
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.