[rescue] OT - Optics / Laser rescue bits?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Dec 22 13:46:20 CST 2010

On 12/22/10 13:22, Christopher Purdy wrote:
> I currently just have a 3mw HeNe Melles Griot head and supply to
> tinker with... but have wanted to try another wavelength for some
> time...  I grew up looking at the old Edmund Scientific Catalogs and
> drooling at the equipment in there...
>
> It is amazing how much diode technology has improved - nearly 1W from
> a diode in a penlight??? crazy is right - I imagine lots for
> uneducated folks are cooking their retinas...

Yeah, I have a big HeNe tube in my workshop, along with an allegedly
matching power supply, but it won't fire up; I don't have a high-enough
voltage DMM to see whether the PSU is putting out the voltage it should
be.  I could build a voltage divider rig ...  but, really, for what it'd
cost me in terms of time and money to have a big, bulky,
not-very-portable HeNe laser, I could spend a few bucks and have a diode
laser with ten times the output that runs on penlight batteries.

Honestly, for my purposes, given that I'm not even close to running a
full optical bench, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

(So, I guess the tube and power supply would be available to laser geeks
more dedicated than I....)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.