[rescue] OT - Optics / Laser rescue bits?

Christopher Purdy escher2 at chartermi.net
Wed Dec 22 12:22:34 CST 2010

I currently just have a 3mw HeNe Melles Griot head and supply to
tinker with... but have wanted to try another wavelength for some
time...  I grew up looking at the old Edmund Scientific Catalogs and
drooling at the equipment in there...

It is amazing how much diode technology has improved - nearly 1W from
a diode in a penlight??? crazy is right - I imagine lots for
uneducated folks are cooking their retinas...

I still lean more to the classical tube setup - seems more "correct"
to my mind from what I always lusted after in the industrial catalogs
growing up...

Regarding the Spectra - Ian you have an email waiting for you.. :)

- Chris

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:
> I sold my working SP argon laser (2011 head) for around $600 about 2 years
> ago. It had very very low hours on it.
>
> eBay had some thor and newport optical tables. I've never seen that type of
> stuff at nasa auctions (and I used to look!) Just heads/psus that normally
> didnt work or were partial.
>
> The argon was fun but 3 phase power and water was a pain. I picked up a
> 600mw 445nm diode setup from china for $225. Crazy. 600mw in the palm of
> your hand.
>
> I still have a multiline ALC 60x rebuild though. And a HeNe or two.
Everyone