[rescue] wanted - 5.25" drive shoebox

Mark G Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Wed Dec 8 11:52:41 CST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 12:13:50AM -0800, David Griffith wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Mark G Thomas wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I knew I shouldn't have thrown them out years ago when I was cleaning
> >out my basement!
> >
> >I'm seeking a drive box with openings for two full height 5.25" drives
> >or four half-height 5.25" (like CDROM) drives, and a 5V/12V power supply.
> >These were popular for the old several-hundred MB full height hard drives
> >and also for "CDROM towers".
> >
> >I need it for a computer project and so far the only ones I've been
> >able to find are only large enough for two half-height drives. This
> >needs to hold a 3.5" floppy, a 5.25" floppy, a notebook IDE drive, a
> >drive-bay CF reader, and my tiny single board computer. For those
> >curious, it's a p112 single board Z80 CP/M computer with a GIDE interface.
> >
> >Alternatively, maybe I could find one of those discontinued Teac FD505
> >combo drives, to fit both the 3.5" and 5.25" drives in a single 1/2 height
> >package, leaving room for the other components.
> >
> >Does anyone have either of the above in their junk collection?
>
> I'm pretty sure I have a case with three half-height bays and I know
> where it is.  A notebook drive and CF reader should both be able to
> share the same half-height sled.  There's room to mount the P112 in
> the back like I did [http://661.org/p112/images].  I plan to visit
> the storage unit Wednesday or Thursday anyhow, so I'll make sure I
> snag it for you.  It's yours for shipping.  Email me and refresh me
> on where I should send it.

I found two CF readers which would mount in 3.5" drive slots (5.25 with
adapter). It was important to me to find something easily externally
accessible; I want to be able to swap CF cards without opening the case.

  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150472706409
    and
  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320608724698

I already ordered the second one, since it looks better built, though
granted might be harder to fit with a notebook drive in the same
1/2-bay-height slot.

I'm also extremly happy with my p112 + GIDE mounted on another drive
bracket. (I hate trying to make bracket things.)

I've got an offer of a quad 1/2 height tower, which I think will fit
all the best, with the least amount of fussing with mountings on my end.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and offers.

By the way, has anyone reached John Wilson about the FDADAP cards recently?
http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html  Or, does anyone have one of these forsale?
I'm hoping to connect an 8" drive too, so I can read these boxes and boxes
of Xerox-820 and BigBoard disks I've accumulated here from others, and
from my first CP/M computer.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)