[rescue] PC100/133 memory size/density/etc question(s)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Oct 28 20:00:17 CDT 2009

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>> I'm playing around with an old Asus K7M (Athlon) motherboard (with a
>> 750MHz Slot-A
>> Athlon processor on it)....
>>
>> I have various memory modules... and I've found the K7M will run
>> modules most PC100/133
>> boards won't (i.e. registered ECC modules).
>>
>> I have 128, 256, 512, and 1G registered ECC modules....
>>
>> All work... but the 512 and 1G modules only see half of each stick...
>> unsure if it is
>> seeing the 1st half of each chip, or only half the chips.
>>
>> This board was only rated at 768M (3 x 256M DIMMs) from ASUS.
>>
>> using 3 1G DIMMs, the system sees 1.5G of memory... pushing the
>> platform to double
>> what Asus intended....
>>
>> Now, the 256 and 512M modules are both double sided using 18 memory
>> chips.  The 1G
>> DIMMs are double sided using 18 or 36 memory chips.
>>
>> I'm wondering if there are some different density modules that would
>> allow me to
>> run 3 x 512M DIMMs and see them as 3 x 512M DIMMS... vs wasting half
>> of my DIMMs
>> to inaccessibility ?
>>
>> Any ideas if there were 'low density' 512M PC133 DIMMs as well as
>> 'high density' ?
>>
>> Too bad there wasn't a way to get the K7M to see all 3G of RAM >:)
>
> You need to use single-rank DIMMs.  I suspect that if you could find
> 1GB single-rank DIMM, and if such a thing indeed exists, you might be
> able to run 3GB.

Doing some reading.... I'm guessing the 512M and 1G registered ECC DIMMs
I have
are quad ranked.

The K7M manual indicates each DIMM has 2 rows (I'm guessing that means each
one supports up to dual ranked ?).

I'll have to research to see the largest PC100/133 memory that came in
single and
dual ranked.

Even if nothing that big came... putting 3 1G DIMMs in it still allows
the box to do
1.5G which is 2X what Asus intended :-).

This is all experimental... as I have plenty of faster PC class
boxes....  but I do like
to see how far I can push the old stuff sometimes :-)

-- Curt