[rescue] Mac IIfx compatible NuBus video card.

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Sun Oct 25 16:49:57 CDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Ian Finder wrote:

> So my trusty Mac IIfx running A/UX just tanked-- no video to speak
> of... just the Mac "bong." Assuming the nasty, large, poorly
> integrated E-Machines video card is to blame. Anyone got a spare NuBus
> video card kicking around? also does anyone have the Mac (DB-15?)
> monitor to standard PeeCee HD-15 adapter?

You said, "just tanked", suggesting it was just recently working, was
powered down, and then would not come back up.

But this is the classic "failure" mode of having a large system
memory. With 128 MB the IIfx will chime, then appear to do nothing (no
video) for several minutes before completing memory test and
continuing to boot normally. Even with 16 MB the test time is
noticeable. If there is eventually hard drive activity, but still no
video, that's a good sign that there is a graphics or monitor problem.
Otherwise I'd be tempted to consider a different fault.

ok
bear