[rescue] off topic - red hat linux book

Derrik Walker v2.0 lorddoomicus at mac.com
Tue Oct 20 20:21:48 CDT 2009

On Oct 20, 2009, at 6:57 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Steve Sandau wrote:
>> Bill Bradford wrote:
>>> "Expect pain and suffering."
>>>

>> Ahhh, "pain and suffering" would also describe out experiences with
>> RedHat. The hardware is nowhere near as well-behaved as SPARC boxes,
>> meaningful documentation on kernel TCP parameters has been really
>> hard
>> to find, and the config files appear to be designed to be
>> convoluted and
>> confusing, not to mention some other problems like arp flux that we
>> have
>> found. When I call support, they are helpful, but I have the feeling
>> that they are learning along with me.
>
> My experience is, at least some of them probably are.  I beta-tested
> some of the Red Hat Brainshare courses at one point ... even leaving
> aside cases where different whitespace meant being scored as a wrong
> answer, there was only one "right" answer to any question, it was
> often
> not the best answer, and sometimes it was technically outright wrong.
> But even when it was the wrong answer, It Was The Red Hat Answer.

Like it or not, Linux is the future.  I agree that PC"s suck compared
to real UNIX systems, but the future is Linux.  And RHEL is the number
one used in business.  In the many years I've moving from UNIX to
Linux, It's always been RHEL.  It gets better with every release.

Oh, yea, I am an RHCE.  It is at hard of a test, but it is passible.
It's all hands on now, no written part.

As far as kernel docs go, you have the source code.  It doesn't get
much better than that for understanding it.

There is documentation out there, you just have to go looking for it.

- Derrik