[rescue] U20 motherboard upgrade ?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 06:15:12 CDT 2009

Jerry,

There are lots of boards that can do, say, 16 Gig, but with only four
DIMM slots it is more of a theoretical option, since suitable RAM may
not be available OR could cost $400 for a 4 Gig DIMM. I recently
bought two Gigabyte MBs (to build up two test Virtual hosts using
surplused Opteron 1210s) that can do just that, but unless prices drop
profoundly I can't see it ever happening.

Quadrupling RAM, using a more power-hungry CPU, and (I assumed) a much
'bigger' graphics card would, very likely require a bigger PS. The
stock unit is what, 450 watts? What is minimum power requirement for
an i7 system? I would think at least 650 watts... The i7 you mentioned
uses more power than an Opteron (I have to believe), and max for U20
is 4 Gig RAM, you want a box capable of 4x as much...

Please don't take the above the wrong way, i'm not 'against' you
upgrade plans (honestly, why would my opinion matter), but I wanted to
offer my thoughts and concerns were I to head down such a path. I also
have a Dell Poweredge T605 (tower formfactor, dual quad-core Xeon, 4x
drive bays, redundant PS and three year on-site warranty) that I
picked up for $1,300 that came with 16 Gigs of 4x 4 Gig DIMMs, with
the 4x DIMMs to fill up the box and go to 32 Gigs currently selling at
Crucial for about $550...

All I'm getting at, really, is your specs take you out of
'conventional' desktop range and really talking about a server or
'workstation' build that will be heading towards $1,500 pretty quickly
were you do all upgrades at once. You've indicated that this would
more likely be extended over the little while, but I was looking at
cost of a near-complete 'forklift' upgrade of the U20 chassis to an i7
Workstation...

Sorry post rambles, it's early for me.

Lionel