[rescue] U20 motherboard upgrade ?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Sun Oct 18 22:14:57 CDT 2009

Hello Lionel,

Thank you for the reply, please see inline comments.

On 10/16/09 06:44, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I can't imagine an economical way to get to 16 Gigs without 8 SIMM
> sockets,

I understand, but can't imagine that I am blazing any new ground here,
or doing something that others on the x86/x64 side are already doing.

  and that many SIMM sockets would eliminate dual CPU boards in
> ATX form AFAIK.

I don't see that to be a problem.  At this point, I am planning for
something with an Intel i7 CPU, and as I understand currently, those are
at least 4 core per die.  I am not currently unhappy with my current
CPU/motherboard CPU-wise, but I am looking for something that can get me
past the 8Gb barrier that my current system board has.

This is a lab/play/learning system for me in my home, and I am playing
with virtualization options.  This is my big drive for more ram.

You may have to up the PS as well, making it an
> expensive upgrade, on a par with the price of a new system... I
> understand wanting to keep the case, but that and the DVD drive may be
> all you keep.

Currently in the case, is the motherboard/CPU, DVD-RAM drive, (2) sata
drives, the Nvidia Quatro FX 1500 frame buffer that shipped with the
system and a differential SCSI controller on the PCI expansion bus.  I
don't see that changing anytime soon.  Are you suggesting that doubling
the amount of RAM will make a significant difference in the amount of
power being pulled from the PS, or that the new CPU/MB will, or all of
the above?

Thanks again for your reply,

Jerry