[rescue] Need motherboard for IBM RS/6000 42T

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 16:36:38 CDT 2009

leaknoil wrote:
> I found an old 42t thats in great shape other then it doesn't work. Just
> says 212 on the front display and nothing else happens. Looks like a
> memory system error of some sort. I'd really like to get it working again.
>
> When I first tried turning it on it went past the 212 display and seemed
> to be going through it's normal diagnostics. It would always seem to
> stop at some number though. Most of the time it was 212. Never got
> anything on the monitor but, I think the 13w3 adapter I had wasn't wired
> right for this.  After a few more boot tries it just went to 212 as soon
> as powered on and stayed there. I opened it up and there was a simm
> hanging half out of the socket. Reinserted it but, still 212. Played
> with taking ram out and moving it around and no change. I imagine it
> probably took out the motherboard.
>
> Unless anyone has an idea what else it might be I suppose I need to
> replace the motherboard. Anyone have a motherboard they can part with. ?
> I suppose I would be interested in a whole 42t if taking the time to
> pull it out is a hassle. I'm in California but, shipping a motherboard
> from anywhere in the world probably isn't out of the question. Shipping
> a system from outside the US probably would be. Any help appreciated.

Are you sure the memory is good?  Usually this is caused by the first
stick going bad, and the machine can't continue onto any additional
sticks.  It wouldn't surprise me if, when the RAM got unseated, the
memory got zapped.

This memory shouldn't be too hard to find.  Certainly easier to find
than a motherboard.

Peace...  Sridhar