[rescue] U20 motherboard upgrade ?- WAS: Wanted: Old Sun Hardware

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Oct 15 10:29:18 CDT 2009

On 14 Oct 2009, at 20:04, Jerry K wrote:
[...]
> As these are x86 systems, I am curious if anyone has performed a
> motherboard/CPU upgrade on an Ultra 20?  Are there any oddities or
> particular strange parts in an Ultra 20, vs any other generic x86
> based system that would preclude an upgrade?

I've not dismantled it fully, but it appears to be about as standard
as any other x86 box in an ATX case.

Note that it's *Opteron* not Athlon, and you need PC3200 DDR ECC RAM
to max out the memory. This is not economic if you were aiming for the
full 8GB. So just treat the motherboard, CPU and RAM as a single
assembly for the purpose of upgrading.

The system basically has no standard drive bays. You might want to
transplant the guts into another case if you want more than two drives
or haven't got any spare spud brackets.

The most obvious upgrade is to install a DVD-RW drive instead of the
stock DVD-ROM drive.