[rescue] Solaris on ARM: WAS: Wanted: Old Sun Hardware

Jerry K sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Wed Oct 14 14:51:04 CDT 2009

Patrick,

See email reference at bottom of message.

This email was posted on the Sun ZFS mailing list on 19 June 2009, by
Eric.Trimble at Sun.COM,  referencing a port of Solaris to ARM.

Please email me off list if you would like for me to forward you the
actual message, with message headers.

Jerry

Erik Trimble wrote:
 > Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
 >> Are they feasible targets for zfs?
 >>
 >> The N610N that I have (BCM3302, 300MHz, 64MB) isn't even powerful
 >> enough to saturate either the gigabit wired or 802.11n wireless. It
 >> only goes about 25Mbps.
 >>
 >> Last time I test on EEPC 2G's Celeron, zfs is slow to the point of
 >> unusable. Will it be usable enough on most ARMs?
 >>

 > Well, given that ARM processors use a completely different ISA (ie.
they're not x86-compatible), OpenSolaris won't run on them currently.

 > If you'd like to do the port....
 >
 > <wink>
 >
 > I can't say as to the entire Atom line of stuff, but I've found the
Atoms are OK for desktop use, and not anywhere powerful enough for even
a basic NAS server.  The demands of wire-speed Gigabit, ZFS, and
encryption/compression are hard on the little Atom guys. Plus, it seems
to be hard to find an Atom motherboard which supports more than 2GB of
RAM, which is a serious problem.

Open mouth, insert foot.

The ARM port is now functional (and available). I would assume (though I
can't verify) that ZFS support is part of the port.

There are a wide variety of ARM chips, in all sorts of stuff. Given the
performance characteristics of some of the stuff I've been playing with
over the last decade (and a pre-look at an ARM-based netbook), I'd have
to say that any currently-available single-chip ARM-based system isn't
going to be good to run OpenSolaris/ZFS on.

That said, I can certainly see some really, really good uses for
ARM-based microcontrollers as the guts of an HBA.   They're likely good
enough to do something like a tiny computer-on-a-board setup.  Think
something like a Sun 7110-style system shrunk down to a PCI-E controller
- you have a simple host-based control program, hook a disk (or storage
system) to the ARM HBA, and you could have a nice little embedded ZFS
system.

Either that, or if someone would figure out a way to have multiple-chip
ARM implementations (where they could spread out the load efficiently).

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support