[rescue] Wanted: Old Sun Hardware

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Oct 14 14:29:03 CDT 2009

Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> How about "if the system's CPU doesn't have out of order execution it is
>>  old" .
>>
>> Maybe that is a better way to classify things.
>
> Wouldn't that mean that Atoms and ARMs are old?

OK to clarify:
1. I was only talking about Sun systems, which have never shipped Atom
or ARM-based units.

2. I was unaware that OOE is not found on even newer CPUs; I thought
that USIII and anything later had OOE.  My mistake (as I said in an
earlier post on this thread).

I think there is a distinction that would not have to be stated when we
are talking about workstation and high-end server systems vs. embedded
CPUs designed for power efficiency....

--Patrick