[rescue] Sparcstation Voyager free to good home

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Oct 10 14:59:23 CDT 2009

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
> " That'd certainly save a pile of shipping.  Actually, I could retire them
> " right now if I could get my hands on a new LTO drive.  (Mine has failed,
> " and I can't afford to replace it right now ... unfortunately I can't
> " afford a new one, and used ones never seem to last more than a year or two.)
>
> i'm not likely to stumble across an lto any time soon, but if
> lightning strikes i'll let you know soonest.

What I'd really like to be able to do is have the drive connected to the
server in my rack in the deckhouse (to simplify backup management), but
have the drive itself inside on my desk for easy tape swapping and to
keep it in a more controlled environment.  (The deckhouse gets below the
dew point at times in spring and fall, and gets down to about 40 degrees
in winter.)  Unfortunately I don't currently see any way to do that at
present unless I could connect the drive via fiber, which means it has
to live on my workstation instead, which is convenient for tape changes
but means that I can't do disk-to-disk-to-tape migration or any of
several other things I'd like to learn and do.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.