[rescue] Rescue Cutoff

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon Nov 16 08:28:43 CST 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:02:47AM -0500, Charles Monett wrote:
> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>> What would be your 'no question, scrap' cut-off? P4s are still useful
>> (above 2.0 Ghz), IMHO.
>>
> Mine's dependent on the machine's network capabilities and expansion
> capabilities.
>
> If it can at least handle 100Mbit properly and/or has PCI, it has a good
> chance of being rescued.
> Otherwise, it has to be a good embedded platform, preferably with some
> way to get USB on it.

I've got some applications for which I'd like to have USB2, mostly
sound related. For instance, I've got a USB telbox device (functions
as a soundcard to a DECT phone for skype), never mind the home made
mp3-jukebox / "squeezebox". Maybe it would work with a PII, but why
waste the time?

Cheers,
Jonathan