[rescue] Can a drive from an EMC be used an a SunBlade

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 14:06:08 CST 2009

> Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 23:58:50 -0800 (PST)

> From: stephen price
> To: The Rescue List
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Can a drive from an EMC be used an a SunBlade
>     2000
>
> Usually all you have to do is change the sector size of the disk from 520 (emc
> proprietary) to 512 (normal) & reformat.
>
> sformat (schilly tools) or scu (scsi
> command utility) normally work just fine.....
>
> I also read somewhere long ago
> that format -e & then rewrite the label as SMI works too - but I've never
> tried that.
>
> I've also done it with a pc and it works there also.
>
> regards
> steve

I should've Googled before I mailed previously, because I easily found the 'scu' home page.

Another tool that is useful for this kind of low-level manipulation is Bart's SCSITOOL (http://www.nu2.nu/scsitool/), whose only downside is that it's for DOS!  But it should work with any HBA having DOS ASPI drivers, IIRC.

-Jonathan