[rescue] Score

John Francini francini at mac.com
Mon Nov 2 17:55:45 CST 2009

When I worked at DEC, I was in two different facilities that had Xerox
9700s/8700s -- Maynard's PKO1, and Marlboro's MRO1.  The 9700 in
Parker Street was tape-fed, and we printed jobs from the
DECsystem-10s, DECSYSTEM-20s, and VAX systems by queueing them to a
special "printer" that accumulated the jobs.  Several times a day the
jobs were spooled off to tape, the jobs printed, and we could go
collect the output.

In Marlboro, the Xerox 8700 was on the then-newish Ethernet, and jobs
were queued, via a software package that later got marketed as the
Distributed Queueing System, from the various computers in the
building (which was vast), to a VAX/VMS system that played 'front end'
to the 8700. We'd go look for the printouts some 2-3 hours later.