[rescue] RDI laptop questions (Sparcbook (Ultrabook, Precisionbook)

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Wed May 20 09:10:33 CDT 2009

Hi!

I'm thinking about trying to pick up a RDI Ultrabook and a Precisionbook,
along with a machine from the IBM Thinkpad 800 series (they run AIX).

There is 2 of the 3 on ebay that I'm thinking of bidding on. The seller
said that the Ultrabook does not boot up with any activity on the main
LCD, just the status LCD. The precisionbook is missing power supply.

On the RDI Tadpole Ultrabook things, does the main LCD only go active once
the video drivers are loaded in Solaris? Or does it have a textport / text
console, and that machine is broken?

I've never used any of the three :-)

Thanks!

--