[rescue] SS 10 question and Ultra 10 question

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jul 30 13:59:49 CDT 2009

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" Joshua Boyd wrote:
" > On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:22:21AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
" >
" >> this brings up something i've been musing about.
" >>
" >> my gf just bumped the ram in her imac to max; memory is cheap enough
" >> we figured no point in doing less.  thing is, officially it only
" >> supports 512M sticks but we got 1G ones, carefully organized to match
" >> what the mem controller can handle.  they have sticks like this for
" >> all sorts of macs.
" >>
" >> now i'm wondering how many other machines can be pushed this way...
" >
" > The Indigo2 officially maxed out at 768 megs, but can be pushed to 1
" > gig now.
" >
" > The U5 officially supports 512 megs, but can be pushed to 1 gig as well.
" >
" > I wish there was a way to get a full 2 gigs into DA or Quicksilver Macs.
"
" A Bondi iMac *officially* maxes out at 256MB, but can be pushed to
" (iirc) 384MB if you have the correct-architecture modules in the correct
" slots.  But it'll only work one way around.

the place we got her imac sticks from had low-profile 256M sodimms for
the bondi they said would work in either slot.  i noticed that b/c i
have a bondi, 333MHz.  as it happens, it already has 128s or i'd be
really tempted.  maybe if/when i ever get a chance to try putting 10.4
onto it...  but i'll need a bigger hd too.  i want to slice it for
both 10.3 and 10.4 roots, as well as /users.

likewise the slot-loader imacs officially max at 512M but they have
512M sticks that push them to 1G.

as i understand it - and as alluded to in the initial u5/u10 posts -
sticks of supported capacity can have more than one organization,
with a variable number of address rows and cols, but at least on macs
larger modules of max rows * max cols work.  i'd guess the u5/u10 work
the same; maybe all machines using generic mem ctlr chips do too.