[rescue] Unboxing: Shrinkwrapped CP/M 2.2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 06:42:14 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:13 AM, Pete<leaknoil at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure that makes your other system 'legal' if it was actually ever
> illegal in the first place. Clearly labeled for the 1800.  Its not like I
> can go buy a Dell restore CD and install it on a IBM laptop and say it's
all
> good. Doesn't work that way.

A Dell OEM Restore CD/DVD would require an OEM product key to install
on a non Dell, or even a Dell of an inappropriate vintage.

For example, a Dell WinXP restore CD will install on any P4 (or
better) Dell box I've come across (I don't remember about the last
Dell P3 I worked on), but a Dell Vista restore DVD will only install
on a recent Dell box (an install attempt on a P4 Dell would trigger a
Product Key requirement, a Core 2 Duo Dell won't).

The Dell OEM install/restore CDs query the BIOS and decide if they
require a Product Key or not, but that doesn't mean that if you don't
ask your license is "legit".

Lionel

--
Lionel Peterson