[rescue] Small Cheap Linux Board??

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 12:14:31 CST 2009

On Dec 21, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-
refuge.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 20 December 2009, Nadine Miller wrote:
>> Everything I've read in the Solaris/OpenSolaris forums is the only
>> solid "consumer grade" NIC is the Intel desktop card, and it's a
>> pricey devil compared to everything else.  I bought one since I
>> noticed the daily drops, just haven't taken the downtime to install
>> it.
>
> Pricy? I think they cost me $30 a few years ago.  Looking at eBay, $13
> plus free shipping.  Though that was PCI, perhaps you are looking at
> PCI-E?

Newegg has nice-looking Broadcom PCI-Express 1x Gigabit NICs for $30,
rosewill, IIRC. I bought a bunch but haven't deployed them yet (lost
in holiday shuffle).

I've gotten some nice Dell system-pull dual 10/100 Intel PCI NICs from
older poweredge servers on their way to the recycler, on eBay they are
pretty cheap ($10-12, last I looked).

In other news, Intel has a few new Atom CPUs out, including a new MB,
the D510MO that uses a new chipset with slightly better graphics (GMA
3150), and very low energy usage (compared with D945GCLF2)... Looks to
be about $75-80, available after the new year.

Lionel