[rescue] Small Cheap Linux Board??

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 16:19:36 CST 2009

On 18 Dec 2009, at 05:12, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I would take them more seriously if they would respin that board with
> the Ion chipset so that we could get 4 gigs of RAM.  And more seriously
> still if they would add support for ECC memory.
>
> Still, I'd try one of those SuperMicro boards if I could find more
> confirmation of them working well with Solaris.

The standard Intel D945GCLF2 worked okay with Solaris 10 x64 apart from the
RTL LAN controller not being supported (kinda useless on a UNIX box). I don't
know if the RTL8111-C onboard LAN on the SuperMicro is supported either, but
the rest of the board will very likely work fine. The 945G chipset is
commonplace and so it the GMA950 graphics controller (not that that's a huge
issue on a server).

OpenSolaris 2009.06 worked flawlessly on the D945GCLF2. I'd expect the same
from the SuperMicro board, given the breadth of driver support in OSol.

Just thought' I'd pipe up and mention that, in case anyone was interested.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>