[rescue] Small Cheap Linux Board??

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 23:04:53 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Nate <nate at portents.com> wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2009, at 10:02 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> On Dec 9, 2009, at 12:14 PM, nate at portents.com wrote:
>>
>>> I went for overkill on my home network when I replaced my
>>> Linksys WRT54G running Tomato firmware with pfSense running on an Intel
>>> Atom ITX board with a quad 1000Base-T card
>>
>> What MB are you running? Most Atom MBs have one expansion slot, either PCI
> or PCI Express 1x (Supermicro has a 'bigger' board, but you metion a quad
> card, so I'm guessing you have one slot)...
>
> Intel BOXD945GCLF motherboard, with a Silicom PXG4U quad gigabit card, which
> is a PCI-X card (PCI backward compatible), Broadcom ethernet based.

<snip>

I wonder how the Supermicro Atom X7SLA-H MB would have fared:

Mfg link: http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/945/X7SLA.cfm?typ=H

Newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182205&Tpk=x7sla-h

It has the dual core 330 Atom CPU with two on-board Realtek Gigabit
ports, a PCI slot and two PCI-Express slots, on 8x and one 4x slot in
a slightly larger form factor... It runs about $50 more than the
D945GCLF2 ($139 vs $89).

Lionel

--
Lionel Peterson