[rescue] Looking for PowerMac G5 part

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Tue Dec 8 21:36:43 CST 2009

Greetings all,

I'm hoping someone may have a early G5 tower organ donor that can cough up
the following part...

I need the "PowerMac G5 Thermistor Cable", Apple part #922-6205. It's the
little temp sensor that sits at the front of the logic board, above the
memory slots and in front of one of the fans.

This link shows the part:  http://www.welovemacs.com/9226205.html

I'm not entirely sure this is the problem the machine is having, so I'd like
to keep costs minimal, since the point of diminishing returns is pretty low
in this case.

It's an interesting problem- the machine won't boot if it's cold. It will
power up, fans and disk will spin, but no boot. If I blow a hair dryer at
the front of it for a minute, then it will boot. I found that tip on the web
- I was about to write off the machine before I did.

I could leave it on all the time, but that would be wasteful in it's current
use. However, hauling out the hair dryer is annoying, too. Since this is the
only temp sensor near the front of the machine, I'm assuming this is the
problematic part. The Apple Genius and a friend who does Mac support at a
local college both scratched their heads and didn't have a better remedy to
try.

TIA for any help,

Steve