[rescue] SunBlade 2000 vs SunBlade 2500 vs Ultra 45

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Aug 3 13:21:12 CDT 2009

gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 04:04:49PM +0200, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
>> This is mostly due to my dislike of AIX, and some bad experiences
>> while a customer of IBM; the POWER chips aren't really the problem.
>> And as I said, there's more to buying systems than raw performance
>> (if it were, then why's Alpha dead and gone now?)
>
> AIX is alive and well, it's just not a big player in the cheap server wars.

The problem of course is that cheap servers eventually come to take over
the tasks that the non-cheap servers used to do.

Without a way to get into POWER for under $2K you can forget about it
ever being a major force in the industry.

Sun used to sell their V100s for $995 and they sold a lot of them; now
they have forgotten that lesson and as a result SPARC is also headed for
 a niche position in the market.

Niche is OK, just don't try to tell me that niche matters...

--Patrick