[rescue] Rescue Challenge..?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Sat Aug 1 18:37:50 CDT 2009

Quoth Christopher Purdy ...

> Not my best machine (I sold a couple of dual CPU Blade 2000's), but
> interesting that I had all these parts just lying around in
> random boxes.
> I'm curious to see who has the best "free" machine!

Although I'm slowly divesting myself of most of it, I have a pretty good
pile of SGI gear I've rescued over the years.  The highlight of the
collection is a Tandem-badged Challenge L "Deskside Supercomputer":

6xR10K CPU
1.5 GB RAM
4x18 GB HD
CD-ROM drive
DVD drive
DLT tape
Dual 100BaseT
etc.

I bought a few things for it, but my son found most of it on the curb; it
booted the first time we plugged it in.  I wouldn't claim it's a "Top 500"
machine or anything, but it was pretty studly in its day.  Like most SGIs of
its day, it's hot and loud, but it's still a very interesting box.

-Shel