[rescue] Rescue Challenge..?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 13:58:02 CDT 2009

On Aug 1, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 05:48:28PM -0400, Christopher Purdy wrote:
>> I thought it would be fun to issue a challenge to the list members
>> build the most powerful machine you can - ONLY with your rescued
>> bits, or
>> with parts you trade with other members of the list.
>
> Wouldn't Dave McGuire win by default?  As far as I know, he still has
> multiple Cray systems and parts.

Not on the list, can't win... ;^)

> Also, how are you defining "power"?

I can think of two metrics:

Power Consumed (in absolute terms, not considering the work said
machine can perform), and

Pound-cycles (the weight of the system in pounds times the sum of the
clock speeds, in GHz), expressed in Gigacycle-pounds, or Megacycle-
pounds for older hardware...

For example, an E450 would beat a similarly spec'd Cycle Quad system,
for comprable clock speeds...

Just a thought,

Lionel