[rescue] Sun Postscript Mouse Pad

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Sep 4 02:23:12 CDT 2008

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:37:34 -0700 (PDT)
Ron Wickersham <rjw at alembic.com> wrote:

> yes they worked WAAY better, but over time the output of the LEDs
> reduced and made them work poorer and poorer as time wen on (most
> workstations those days were on 24/7).
Even high power LEDs (The 1 W to 3 W Lumileds) have a livetime of 50,000
hours. That are 5.7 years. Normal LEDs can exceed this by a factor of
maybe 5 times...

> one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the original mats had the
> stripes in colors that were opaque to red light in one direction and
> opaque to infrared light in the other direction.  so that makes a
> carbon laser jet pad even less optimum even when you back it with a
> reflector.
I have seen such pads: Green and red stripes. But that was on SGIs. All
Sun "razor mirrors", that I have seen, use a plain black grid. Open an
old type 4 mouse: There are two LEDs, two lenses and two photosensors,
all identical, mounted in a 90 degree angle...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen