[rescue] Solaris Jumpstart related NFS question

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Wed Oct 1 06:04:51 CDT 2008

> On my big file server, I have a large raid as ZFS, shared over NFS,
> /raid2.

Since this is ZFS,  wouldn't it be possible to do the following
(presuming your zfs pool is named raid2)....

zfs create raid2/jumpstart
zfs set sharenfs=on
zfs set sharenfs=ro raid2/jumpstart

..since it is a separate "filesystem" (and also if the filesystem
properties are set to non inherited), it wouldn't really be nested(...or
would it!?)

Deploy your jumpstart stuff (miniroot, rules, etc) from the Solaris
DVD's into /raid2/jumpstart.

Then for your read/write flar area - create another ZFS filesystem
(since they do not have to sit inside the jumpstart area, and could be
on a NFS export on another server for that matter)

zfs create raid2/flars
zfs set sharenfs=on
(You may need to set root@ for your NFS share depending on your
environment....)