[rescue] Solaris Jumpstart related NFS question

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Oct 1 05:38:37 CDT 2008

Steve Sandau wrote:
> stephen price wrote:
>> can you have nested mount points?
>> create a new mount point - /newexport -
>> mount /raid2/install_server to /newexport with the read-only option
>> export/share out the new mount point & change your jumpstart script
>
> I seem to remember that you can't do nested NFS shares.

You seem to remember incorrectly.

minbar:root:~:1 # share
-               /   root=@10.24.32.10/32,rw=@10.24.32.10/32   "minbar root"
-               /home   root=@10.24.32.10/32,rw=@10.24.32.10/32
"minbar home"
-               /export   root=@10.24.32.0/24,rw=@10.24.32.0/23   "exports"

While this may seem an odd thing to do, looking at my mounts there was
meaning in my madness:

babylon5:alaric:~:3 $ cat /etc/fstab
[...]

### remote filesystems
minbar:/                /mnt/minbar             nfs
ro,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,hard,intr,suid,nfsvers=3,tcp 0       0
minbar:/home            /mnt/minbar/home        nfs
rw,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,hard,intr,suid,nfsvers=3,tcp 0       0
minbar:/export          /minbar                 nfs
rw,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,hard,intr,suid,nfsvers=3,tcp 0       0

Notice it's set up this way so that I can have minbar:/ mounted ro, but
minbar:/home mounted rw.

(Notes:  minbar runs Solaris 9, babylon5 runs a custom Linux install
based long ago on Slackware 7 but no longer really recognizable as such.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.