[rescue] Dayton Hamfest

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat May 17 12:41:48 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:03:16PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> MFJ 9000 series of single band transceivers.  SSB and most have an optional board for CW.
> They are only 20 watts but work very well.

I don't think they are very attractive to hams who are used to digital
tuning, etc. The CW adaptors are also confusing, they change the
frequency but require you to look at the same scale and read it
differently. This would confuse the heck out of me.

MFJ advertises that the radios have no "microprocessor mumbo-jumbo", but
it's the microprocessors that the intended audience is familar with, they
radio part is what is new.

The price is also, IMHO too high and there is no way to upgrade them
to multiple bands.

Geoff.