[rescue] Useful stuff for small spaces

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Fri May 16 09:44:49 CDT 2008

I deal with the more modern thinkpads, day in and day out.  T40, 42,
42p, 43, 43p, 60, 60z, etc.  They're solid machines, very much unlike
the older systems.  The old systems were what I consider to be junk,
and I remember at one point you were basically a sucker if you bought
them over some of the toshibas or dells that were out at the time.
The butterfly keyboard comes to mind here.  Surely they made some good
ones though.

The only problem I ever have with these T40-T60 models is the fans die
after a few years.  I was able to repair one this week with a shot of
WD-40, but it might be easier to just buy a used fan assembly
(heatsink and all) for $20 or less on eBay.  I realized I spent about
an hour on the repair, which would take me an hour anyway if I was
installing a new one.

I tried this repair on another unit and it failed.

-Bob